RE: allowing ordinary users to open privileged ports

From: Myers, Mike (Mike.Myers_at_nwdc.net)
Date: 09/14/04

    Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:41:52 -0700
    To: "Brian Parent" <bparent@calvin.ucsd.edu>, focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    You know, I've often heard this statement (about SUID shell scripts being dangerous) without a good explanation -- too often the authoring citing "security concerns" for not explaining it (not that Brian did!)

    For those who feel the same way, I found a reasonable explanation here:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part4/section-7.html

    It does a good job of covering PATH issues, timing issues and others. Always good to understand exactly what type of attack one is defending against.

    Cheers,
     - Mike Myers, Mike.Myers <at> nwdc.net