Re: allowing ordinary users to open privileged ports

From: Reg Quinton (reggers_at_ist.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: 09/13/04

    To: <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:03:04 -0400

    > Has anyone in the list successfully tried allowing ordinary
    >users to open privileged (< 1024) ports?

    I've lost track of the application requirements so this may be off base....
    Any application run out of /etc/inetd.conf can be configured to serve a
    privileged port and run as an unprivileged user. e.g.,

    finger stream tcp6 nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.fingerd
    in.fingerd

    If this fits it's the simple solution.