allowing ordinary users to open privileged ports

From: randy calma repasa (rrepasa_at_ekonek.com)
Date: 09/02/04

    To: <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:40:55 +0800

    Hello all,

            Has anyone in the list successfully tried allowing ordinary
    users to open privileged (< 1024) ports? We have a solaris 8 on sparc
    machine running an (java) application that normally uses ports > 1024;
    however a client requested the application to use privileged ports
    instead.

            This resulted in the application failing to start as the port
    that the application was trying to bind to was < 1024. I've looked for
    methods/workarounds to allow this but have so far come up empty.

            I would appreciate any experiences or links that the list could
    point me to.

            Thank you very much and best regards.

    Randy

    • Re: ELF dynamic loader name [was: sbrk(2) broken]
      ... (lang/drscheme in ports) ... twinhead# make install ... Java HotSpotServer VM (build ... Java2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • jdk13 native plugin stopped working on native mozilla on -CURRENT
      ... answer rather than tromping off to ports or java. ... I get an unresloved symbol at mozilla ... Undefined symbol "_ZTV16nsQueryInterface"] ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: [freebsd-stable] Re: Macromedia FLASH ...
      ... Mozilla (my preferred browser), Galeon, and Opera. ... recently built 4.9-STABLE and I use cvsup and portupgrade to keep all my ... ports closely syncronized. ... I have also a problem with java plug-in. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Problems with firefox + javavm
      ... I've installed the following ports: ... with the java plugin. ... Since installation of the 1.0.1 version i keep ... firefox simply exits with exit code 255 - no core file. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: some simple questions on VNC
      ... The 58xx ports fire up a java version of the VNC viewer so you can ... The java runs in the client browser. ... server supplies the Java applet, which is a Java implemented vnc viewer. ...
      (Fedora)