Re: DNS problem on Solaris X86

From: Jussi Hamalainen (
Date: 06/14/04

    Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:17 +0300 (EEST)
    To: Mogens Valentin <>

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Mogens Valentin wrote:

    > No matter what I do, it responds with " Unable to find an address for
    > 'hostname' with the specified DNS configuration.
    > I've specified domainname, IP of DNS and tried with/without search
    > domain.

    Are you installing Solaris 8 or Solaris 9? The Solaris 8 installer
    has a major flaw (although Sun call it a "feature"): it doesn't ask
    for a default route out of the segment so you can't make DNS work
    while installing if you don't have a DNS server in your LAN.

    With Solaris 9 you get to configure a default route. However, the
    installer expects to find an A-record matching the hostname and
    domain you entered into the DNS configuration. If it can't query the
    DNS server (ie. no route) or it gets NXDOMAIN, you get an error and
    can't configure DNS while installing.

    I still don't quite see why this matters because you can configure
    the DNS settings manually after you have finished installing. Just
    edit /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf.

    You should use static IP settings (preferrably in a confined network)
    while installing and then revert to DHCP once you are done. You can
    do this by removing the /etc/hostname.interface (interface being hme0
    or whatever your interface is named) and creating a
    /etc/dhcp.interface file instead.

    -=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email ]=-