Re: DNS problem on Solaris X86

From: Jussi Hamalainen (count_at_theblah.fi)
Date: 06/14/04

    Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:17 +0300 (EEST)
    To: Mogens Valentin <monz@danbbs.dk>

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Mogens Valentin wrote:

    > No matter what I do, it responds with " Unable to find an address for
    > 'hostname' with the specified DNS configuration.
    > I've specified domainname, IP of DNS and tried with/without search
    > domain.

    Are you installing Solaris 8 or Solaris 9? The Solaris 8 installer
    has a major flaw (although Sun call it a "feature"): it doesn't ask
    for a default route out of the segment so you can't make DNS work
    while installing if you don't have a DNS server in your LAN.

    With Solaris 9 you get to configure a default route. However, the
    installer expects to find an A-record matching the hostname and
    domain you entered into the DNS configuration. If it can't query the
    DNS server (ie. no route) or it gets NXDOMAIN, you get an error and
    can't configure DNS while installing.

    I still don't quite see why this matters because you can configure
    the DNS settings manually after you have finished installing. Just
    edit /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf.

    You should use static IP settings (preferrably in a confined network)
    while installing and then revert to DHCP once you are done. You can
    do this by removing the /etc/hostname.interface (interface being hme0
    or whatever your interface is named) and creating a
    /etc/dhcp.interface file instead.

    --
    -=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@theblah.fi ]=-

    • Re: PC can no longer send email - no response from SMTP server
      ... server using telnet I get a sign-on message from the server whereas ... have you checked the DNS ... To the best of my knowledge and the customer's knowledge, there isn't a firewall - it's W2K rather than Win XP so there wouldn't be the Windows one. ... mobo and getting the hardware to spin up and then installing an operating system. ...
      (uk.comp.misc)
    • RE: DNS Error--David Pharr
      ... 263091 Windows 2000 May Send Unexpected DNS Request ... | reinstall the servers and sought advice in the thread "Installing Active ... | installed the second server, setup static IP address, joined the domain, ... The event data contains the error. ...
    • Re: where are the newsgroups???
      ... >>If you have any other thoughts on what is happening to the DNS, ... > If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some ... > Block known dangerous scripts from installing. ... > Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. ...
    • Re: PC can no longer send email - no response from SMTP server
      ... server using telnet I get a sign-on message from the server whereas ... have you checked the DNS ... firewall - it's W2K rather than Win XP so there wouldn't be the Windows ... mobo and getting the hardware to spin up and then installing ...
      (uk.comp.misc)
    • Re: Installing Active Directory and DNS
      ... You do not need to setup dns beforehand - I usually just let the system ... | Subject: Re: Installing Active Directory and DNS ... |> step-by-step in creating sites and moving the servers into the sites. ...