Re: files<->packages?

From: Gregory Hicks (ghicks_at_cadence.com)
Date: 06/12/04

    Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
    To: rao3@leicester.ac.uk

    > Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:52:55 +0100 (BST)
    > From: Alex Owen <rao3@leicester.ac.uk>
    >
    > On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Jonathan Burelbach wrote:
    > > pkginfo -l <pkgname> - provide details information on a package.
    > > pkgchk -l <pkgname> - provides the file listing of a package
    > > pkgchk -lp <filename> - tells you what package the file came from
    >
    > But do these commands tell you about packages you have not yet
    > installed?

    No. They only tell you about what you have installed on your
    computer.

    Also, the "pkgchk -lp <filename>" above is incorrect.

    It should be "pkgchk -lp </path/to/filename>" Then it tells you what
    package the file came from...

    Regards,
    Gregory Hicks

    Gregory Hicks | Principal Systems Engineer
    Cadence Design Systems | Direct: 408.576.3609
    555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1 | Fax: 408.894.3479
    San Jose, CA 95134 | Internet: ghicks@cadence.com

    I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely
    learn a great deal today.

    "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    decision." - Benjamin Franklin