Re: kernel patch loading but not updating KernelID

From: Ryan A. Krenzischek (krenzischek_at_Encompasserve.org)
Date: 05/26/04

    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:51:41 -0500 (CDT)
    To: "Larry W. Cashdollar" <larry@akamai.com>

    Okay, first off, to check that the patch was installed:

    1. showrev

    Look for the line:
    Kernel version: SunOS 5.6 Generic 105181-38 Feb 2004

    Your output will vary depending on your version of Solaris that is
    installed.

    You will need to reboot in order for the kernel patch to take effect.
    uname shows which kernel is currently loaded in memory.

    Ryan

    On Wed, 26 May 2004, Larry W. Cashdollar wrote:

    > Do you have mirrored disks with disksuite? If so you might want to check
    > metastat to see if any mirrors need maintenance.
    >
    > On Wed, 26 May 2004, Dmitry Alyabyev wrote:
    >
    > > On Tuesday 25 May 2004 11:46, khoh jim wrote:
    > > > Hi ,
    > > >
    > > > I have loaded the Solaris 8 Kernel patch, 108528-29 on . When running the
    > > > `uname -v` command, server still shows the kernel ID at -27. However, when
    > > > looking at /var/sadm/patch, it shows that the patch loaded successfully. I
    > > > re-loaded the patch using a "patchadd -u" to force the patch, and, again
    > > > the patch appeared to be successful. The server was rebooted several times.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas what the problem could be, or what I can do to resolve this
    > > > issue?
    > >
    > > did you apply this patch in single user mode ?
    > >

    > --
    > Larry W. Cashdollar
    > Sr UNIX Systems Administrator

    • Re: RT patch acceptance
      ... judge the complexity of a design for that type of system. ... claim that you cannot judge the complexity of a kernel modification. ... Since the patch in question doesn't actually need that information to ... nanokernel's API up to date with additions to Linux's API that RT people ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: inline asm semantics: output constraint width smaller than input
      ... Now in this case the patch you suggest might end up hurting the end result ... The below patch is to build the kernel for x86_64, ... # Device Drivers ... # PCI IDE chipsets support ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • [RFC] Making percpu module variables have their own memory.
      ... Someone using the -rt patch found that one of the tracing options caused ... 64K for every CPU to cover all the per_cpu variables used in the kernel ... static void wakeup_softirqd_prio ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: This is [Re:] How to improve the quality of the kernel[?].
      ... The -mm kernel already implements what your proposed PTS would do. ... If patch have no TS ID, ... Thus i can apply for example lguest patches and implement and test new ... How many open source projects use Bugzilla and how many use the Debian BTS? ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Documentation - how to apply patches for various trees
      ... >> explanation of the various kernel trees and how to apply their patches. ... +a patch to the kernel or, more specifically, what base kernel a patch for ... +and what new version the patch will change the source tree into. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)