Re: NFS Over Private Network

From: Thomas Knop (tknop_at_maxrelax.de)
Date: 03/25/04

    Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:44:03 +0100
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    * Michael Wright <cshelp@plu.edu> [25.03.04 10:32]:
    > Hi, I have two Sun Servers (one running Solaris 8 the other Solaris 9).
    > I would like to try and setup the machines so that I can use NFS over a
    > private network between the two machines using their second NIC cards.
    > Is this possible? Any information and suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated. Also, do I have to set anything special for the NICs as
    > far as routing is concerned?
    It's possible. But ist's IMHO impossible to tell the portmapper to listen
    only to a specific Interface. You also may want to enable local MAC
    adresses in the OBP of both Maschines.

    Thomas

    • RE: NFS Over Private Network
      ... Then you make sure that your /etc/exports lists only the private addresses ... Subject: NFS Over Private Network ... private network between the two machines using their second NIC cards. ...
      (Focus-SUN)
    • Re: network file systems?
      ... > between linux machines... ... I would say NFS in the *nix world and/or Samba if you have Windoze. ... > the two machines to gentoo... ... My main server is Sun Solaris, so I cannot comment on Linux NFS server ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Does there exist something like a networked filestorage
      ... number of machines. ... They might use NIS, NIS+, LDAP or something else for name ... BTW, you can have a "default" server for all user homes, and then specify ... etc.) to reside on specific other NFS servers. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: VPN users are unable to access the private network =/
      ... This works....its just once i'm connected I can only connect to machines on ... the private network that have been specified ... >> Computer Browsing over VPN ... Ping remote computers by NetBIOS Name, ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: [9fans] Configuring NFS
      ... For Solaris NFS was *the* only choice. ... For Linux I have ... nfsserver but wondering what the machine 'ivy' does, ... services don't even have to be remote machines). ...
      (comp.os.plan9)