Re: Assigning host route to loopback

From: John Kristoff (jtk_at_northwestern.edu)
Date: 02/17/04

    Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:07:37 -0600
    To: <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>

    FYI... I originally posted to this list by mistake, but I'll follow up
    because a number of people did send private emails offering help and
    suggestions (thanks).

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:29:51 +1000
    "Reg Quinton" <reggers@ist.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

    > > I don't seem to be able to set the netmask for an IP to 255.255.255.255
    > > in the /etc/inet/netmasks file.
    >
    > Wouldn't a netmask of 255.255.255.255 mean that every single IP address in
    > the world is addressable by ARP on that interface?
    > I doubt that's what you want.

    I think you might be referring to a situation where host relies on
    another (router or default gateway) to do proxy arp in order to reach
    other hosts on other networks. A host route, where the network mask
    is 255.255.255.255 is a legitimate entry in a routing table most
    typically used for a point-to-point link, loopback interface or
    other directly connected host.

    Literally seconds after my post hit the list, Casper Dik (of course :-)
    sent me the info I needed. I needed to enter the IP address in CIDR
    notiation (e.g. 192.0.2.254/32) in the /etc/hostname.lo0:1 file. I
    also did the same for the dmfe0 interface, plus removed network and
    associate network mask info from the /etc/inet/netmasks file. All
    good now.

    John

    • Re: ng_one2many v.s. AFT (NIC Fault Tolerance/Fail Over/Redundancy Revisited)
      ... > hosts weren't seeing the usual warnings about MAC address changes. ... regardless of what network segment/port a host ... > physical interface ifconfig'd with the IP. ... > tree root and switch 1 is the backup spanning tree root. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: 8.0 carp problems
      ... I still need to gather more info when I visit the datacenter to reboot one of the problematic hosts, but I wanted to verify my basic carp config here was solid. ... The other host running carp+dnscache has not had any problems. ... same pf.conf rules (both the internal interface and carp interfaces are skipped - "set skip on ..."). ... miibus1: on fxp1 ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: cant ping or telnet to or from a cat 3550
      ... Logging is enabled but shows nothing at all other than a couple ... Interface FastEthernet0/18, changed state to down ... I am trying to ping from a host on Vlan 9, ... from the switch which also does not work. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Point-to-Point links - route IP Block with DSL
      ... Subnet mask: 255.255.255.248 ... I can see from above that if the route table fails to find ... Yes, it is a host route, with no subnet. ... the PPP interface gets all traffic from your ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Proxy ARP and Routing
      ... some CPE from our ISP connected to a firewall. ... the public IPs on the physical DMZ network. ... packets to the host on the DMZ? ... on the DMZ interface. ...
      (SunManagers)