Regarding #52465 "Solaris System may Panic While Retransmitting a TCP Packet"

From: Lise Moorveld (lise_moorveld_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/20/04

    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:12:54 +0100

    Hi,

    Sun classifies the issue discussed in Alert Notification #52465 ("Solaris
    System may Panic While Retransmitting a TCP Packet") as an 'Availability'
    issue.
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F52465

    This is the description:
    "A rare race condition may cause Solaris to panic while retransmitting a TCP
    packet. The retransmission is due to the original packet being delayed on
    the sending system instead of packet loss on the network."

    I was wondering, firstly, what is exactly meant by 'the sending system'? Is
    this the same system that panics? The fact that this issue apparently occurs
    when 'REtransmitting' would suggest this, but I'm not sure I'm getting this
    right...
    Secondly, if this situation can be triggered by a remote host, wouldn't this
    be a potential security issue? Does anyone have any evidence that this issue
    can indeed be triggered by a remote host?

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Lise

    Talk with your online friends with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.nl/