Re: "Boot time scripts should have an .sh extension"

From: Reg Quinton (reggers_at_ist.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: 11/14/03

    To: "Paul Greene" <techlists@comcast.net>, <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:31:29 -0500

    > I got the following out of a security checklist, but am skeptical. Can
    > anyone provide some feedback as to its validity (or lack of).

    It's definitely the case that Solaris rc* scripts (which execute start and
    stop scripts in similarly named directories) will execute .sh files in the
    same shell and all others in a new shell. The rc* scripts are simple shell
    scripts that you can read to verify that.

    On older versions of Solaris you'd change the umask of processes started at
    boot time by creating a umask.sh script that gets run early in the boot
    sequence. For example

    @ist[106]% more /etc/rc3.d/S00umask.sh
    umask 022

    On recent versions of Solaris the preferred method is to set it in
    /etc/default/init (but the previous strategy still works).