Re: Prevent remote User login

From: Blair Barrett (bbarrett_at_nyis.net)
Date: 10/17/03

    Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:50:19 -0400
    To: "Glenn M. Brunette, Jr." <glenn.brunette@sun.com>

    Noel,

    We create the role account and then lock it. We allow allow access
    through Sudo:

    http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/

    It's relatively straightforward, and you can restrict the ability to
    switch user based on groups. We also by default change the permissions
    on both instances of su (/usr/bin/su and /sbin/su) so that only root
    can execute it.

    We've been doing this for years - it works on most flavors of Unix
    including Solaris.

    The user simply switches user to the locked account by typing

    /usr/local/bin/sudo su - [account] (or simply sudo su - ... if
    /usr/local/bin is in the user's PATH statement).

    They will be prompted for their own password, and once successfully
    authenticated will be switched to the account.

    Blair

    > Noel del Rosario wrote:
    >> Glenn,
    >> Is there something that could prevent a user to do a remote
    >> login
    >> to another valid user_id account (say 'oracle' or '9ias' ) but
    >> allows them to do 'su - oracle' or 'su - 9ias' after they
    >> successfully login remotelly using their own user_id account (
    >> say 'rosario' or 'watanabe' ). cheers,
    >> noel

    • Re: XP: Cool feature with a weakness
      ... Macs' But I can confirm that on my G4 400 with 10.4.8 onboard it performs ... of course, but if I switch user, ... And Steve did say... ... I can, from a user account, hold down the control, option ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: switching to another user
      ... to log off my account in order to do that. ... just switch user but on my new laptop i dont have that option. ... On-Line Help Computer Service ...
    • Re: Computer restarts itself
      ... Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. ... When i log onto an account and then i switch user because i want to log ... "loading your personal settings" but for about 2 seconds and then my ...
    • Re: XP: Cool feature with a weakness
      ... reverts, shut the computer down or log out whatever you want to do, restart ... of course, but if I switch user, ... And Steve did say... ... mode X), and switch to another account, the screen will revert back to ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Using Switch User causes screen to go black
      ... If you are logged into one account and select switch user, ... soon as you select the other user's account icon, ... It does not matter which account you boot up with, ... switch user and select the other user's account icon, ...