TCP checksum and device driver eri0

From: Giovanni Porcelli (porcelli_at_unipmn.it)
Date: 06/27/03

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:30:41 +0200
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

During a snoop session on a 280R with solaris 9 and network interface
eri0, I noticed that the TCP checksum field of every outgoing packet was
incorrect.
This happened also on a Netra 120 with solaris 8 and on the same machine
with solaris 9 (obviusly with eri0). I tried also with tcpdump, but the
result was the same.
The same packet snooped on the network has the correct checksum value.
I believe that something happens between the snoop point on the machine
and the network interface eri0 output.
I also tried on other machines: on a Sun 450R with solaris 9 (but with
hme0) the TCP checksum snooped locally is correct, also on a Sun 250
with solaris 8 and hme0 is correct.
With this last result I believe that the responsible is the eri0 driver.
It is true?
If I want to snoop locally *but* with the correct checksum value, how
can I do?
Any suggestion?

Regards
Giovanni Porcelli

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New HP network printers not jetdirect
    ... Problem is the network interface on these new printers isn't jetdirect, ... so how do I use it with the Solaris 9 machines? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • ipfilter
    ... Solaris 10's ipfilter, ... #ifconfig <network interface> plumb IP up ... I kinda started the service svcadm enable ipfilter, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • solaris 10 using dhcp
    ... I've configured Solaris to use DHCP on the network interface. ... problem connecting to www.yahoo.com). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: OS (Solaris 8) is losing route to 127.0.0.1
    ... There is a patch for this. ... Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 Network Interface may Stop Responding to ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • X25 Over TCP
    ... I would like to use an X.400 MTA on a solaris box without using ... an X.25 network interface. ... I know some Cisco products can encapsulate X.25 ...
    (SunManagers)