.exrc file security risks

From: Paul Greene (techlists_at_comcast.net)
Date: 04/30/03

    Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:44:25 -0400
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    Hello All,

    I'm verifying the validity of a Solaris hardening guide and came across
    a recommendation to remove ".exrc" files. However, I can't find anything
    mentioning ".exrc" files in any of the standard security guidelines I
    normally refer to (CISecurity and NSA).

    What, if any, are the risks associated with these files? (Or possibly
    the spelling ".exrc" is a typo and should be something else?)

    Thanks

    PG