Re: /.iiim/auth/passwd on Solaris 8

From: Thomas Lindsay (lindsayt@socsci.umn.edu)
Date: 04/09/03

    Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:02:25 -0500 (CDT)
    From: Thomas Lindsay <lindsayt@socsci.umn.edu>
    To: Reg Quinton <reggers@ist.uwaterloo.ca>

    Yes, but this still begs the question, why does it need to store an
    encrypted password in the .iiim/auth/passwd file? What is this password?
    Is it a cached copy of the user's password? This would make the user's
    password available to a brute-force crack if that's what it's storing.
    I've written to my Sun rep asking about this, so we'll see what she writes
    back. I'll post her response if it's helpful.

    Thomas Lindsay
    Systems Administrator
    Social Science Research Facility
    University of Minnesota