Re: Better Syslog server

From: Jameel Akari (jakari@bithose.com)
Date: 03/17/03

    Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:08:08 -0500 (EST)
    From: Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
    To: Matt Harris <mdh@unix.si.edu>

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Matt Harris wrote:

    > I've been looking a bit on google/sourceforge/etc to try and find a more
    > configurable and extensible syslog server, to no avail. Does anyone

    There is syslog-ng, but IMO it's still lacking.

    > # commands for syslog facility "XXX"
    > Facility XXX {
    > # Send message to stdin of a script which can send alerts, etc
    > Severity emerg ACTION /usr/local/libexec/parse-emerg.sh
    > # 192.168.47.9 - sample dhcp server
    > Host "192.168.47.9" {
    > # log stuff from the dhcp server to a seperate file
    > Severity warn FILE /var/adm/dhcp.log
    > }
    > # send other stuff to a default file
    > Severity DEFAULT FILE /var/adm/xxx.log
    > }

    Looks like a good idea to me.

    > functionality I'd like - for example, piping out to a smart script,
    > sending to different files based on host that sent the message, etc

    Logging to a [My|Postgre]SQL backend instead of or in addition to file
    would be very cool. Stick a PHP frontend on it and make pretty charts and
    graphs.

    Doing things like "tail -f /var/adm/messages | someparserscript.pl" kinda
    works, but is... non-optimal?

    --
    #!/jameel/akari
    sleep 4800;