Re: Solaris disk wipe utilitiy?

From: Chris Marget (
Date: 03/06/03

    Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:46:44 -0500 (EST)
    From: Chris Marget <>
    To: Erik Hovland <>

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Erik Hovland wrote:

    > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:59:18AM -0600, MacDougall, Shane wrote:
    > > Does anybidy know of a DOD-compliant file/disk wipe utility for
    > > Solaris 2.8/2.9? We need to clean off our Sunfire box soon, and need to
    > > do it securely.
    > I know that NASA's requirement is fulfilled by writing /dev/zero to
    > partition s2. Does anyone on this list see a problem with that? Does it
    > have be done a few times to beat down the residual magnetic flux?

    it depends on the standard you're trying to meet, i guess. if your goal
    is to *actually* secure secrets by removing them from disk, then nothing
    you write with your scsi or fc-al controller will do the trick.

    modern hard drives remap blocks automagically. you're not allowed to
    hit the whole surface of the disk. there may be some of your data in
    the off-limits (previously remapped) areas.

    physical destruction is a good option.

    ...scenes from the end of T2 flash through my head...

    • Re: "secure" file flag?
      ... >> Encrypting data and secure removal of data are orthogonal and in case ... > Both are completely adequate to protect the data on the disk from ... That's why encryption can be required. ... > specify a simple pattern like overwrite with zeros once, ...
    • Re: Getting the hex out of HexEdit
      ... You mean even after using disk utility to clean the space? ... you've done multiple wipes using a secure disc utility. ... somebody just hacking into your computer, as by the police using all ... The resources used by the police for jobs work out to be: ...
    • Re: Start application & continue after app exits
      ... but I don't think all versions of Windows can handle opening ... doesn't make it secure because the file exists on disk and can be read. ... If you are worried about security, you would't be saving the file to the ...
    • RE: Unclassified Disk "Sanitizers"
      ... >location on the disk. ... >Matthew Tallon ... Hush provide the worlds most secure, easy to use online applications - which solution is right for you? ...
    • Re: Disk security
      ... >> How can the contents of the whole disk be secured yet allow the OS to ... >> Is there a way to secure the disk in such a way that when they mount ... hardware password sniffers. ... You do not need NSA for that, ...