RE: Solaris disk wipe utilitiy?

From: gil.young@sycoleman.com
Date: 03/06/03

    From: gil.young@sycoleman.com
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:49:53 -0500

    If you are required to use a DOD level erase processes, it will be best to
    get a commercial product that specifically does that. I have a feeling that
    you don't have to otherwise it would have been part of a pre-conceived
    destruction process for the drives at the EOL of the equipment before the
    DOD sensitive data was put on there. I forget what it's called, but I
    believe it is required of all classified processing equipment to have an EOL
    plan to ensure data destruction before any processing even starts. If
    you're not sure what I am talking about, please please please check with
    your security officer.

    Otherwise..

    As per sun managers:

    http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1994-08/msg00042.html

    IMHO. dd the s2 partition a few dozen times, or have the format command do a
    destructive analysis (write, compare, purge, or verify) for a few days, or
    both. If you're paranoid, set the parameters to 1000 passes, use random bit
    patterns, etc... as insane as ya want to go. If you're really paranoid, have
    the drives set out for DOD level destruction and buy new ones ;).

    Best wishes,
    Gil