Re: LDAP replacing NIS...?

From: Akop Pogosian (akopps@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 01/30/03

    Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:01:54 -0800
    From: Akop Pogosian <akopps@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:35:59AM -0800, David M. Fetter wrote:
    > Try replacing NIS with kerberos. See http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/.

    AFAIK, Kerberos is an authentication service, not a directory service.
    Even if you use Kerberos, you still need a directory service, at very
    least, to distribute the /etc/passwd data.

    -akop

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: NIS? In this day and age?
      ... HA cluster making heavy use of NIS. ... Kerberos won because we thought we needed LDAP for other systems. ... In the end I think that you should go with the directory service your ... security needs to be considered. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Scipting
      ... when I run lslpp -l|grep krb5, it shows multiple lines of the same ... Authentication Service ... what I'm trying to do si modify the variable to grab just ONE instance ... I assume your question is "what version of Kerberos do I have ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: Scipting
      ... Authentication Service ... what about lslpp -L then grep- Hide quoted text - ... enterprise wide and have it look for any kerberos version 1.4.x and if ... it's installed, say its running and if it's not installed, say install ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: Scipting
      ... Authentication Service ... those all work, however, what I want to do is run this script ... enterprise wide and have it look for any kerberos version 1.4.x and if ... it's installed, say its running and if it's not installed, say install ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: kerberos for workgroup servers