Re: Anti Virus on Sun Solaris

From: Stephane Nasdrovisky (
Date: 11/17/02

    Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:14:40 +0100
    From: "Stephane Nasdrovisky" <>
    To: "K. K. Mookhey" <>

    We are using trend micro viruswall on the same server as our mail server. (as
    well as web proxy+av). The installation scripts are designed for sendmail and
    you should not face any issue (during the installation process, I mean). It does
    change the S88sendmail boot script in order to make trendmicro the first line
    MTA, trendmicro then calls sendmail. If your mail server is somewhat heavily
    used, a fasterter solution is to bind sendmail on an alternate port and tell
    trendmicro to forward mails to this port.

    The other solutions I've used are alladin and symantec ones. Unfortunatly, both
    are blue-screen based.

    > We are looking to implement an AntiVirus Solution for a Sendmail Mail Server
    > running on Sun Solaris (SunOS 5.7).
    > This has to be a Mail Gateway AV solution which must work in conjunction
    > with Sendmail. The mails must get scanned and filtered at the Mail Server
    > level itself.
    > We have shortlisted Amavis as a possible solution, and possibly Trend
    > Micro's Interscan VirusWall for Solaris.

    > I would greatly appreciate it if others on this list could provide their
    > inputs as to the best solution under this scenario.

    The best solution depends on which anti-virus solution you choosed for you
    workstations. I personally prefer to have 2 diffrent brands in order to get a
    better protection.

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?
      ... This isn't something you'll find in any external sendmail ... default mail server, you would probably find people that would agree ... First you have to define what are standard local conditions. ... AT&T DSL connection using the sbcglobal servers. ...
    • RE: cant send mail to hotmail or yahoogroups addresses
      ... When I'm away using the web based client, it uses sendmail ... Replace with the outbound mail server of your ISP. ... If your ISP's mail server requires authentication, ... add the feature authinfo to /etc/mail/ ...
    • Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
      ... I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 6.0 box as a mail server, and while everything seems to be working OK for the most part, I have run into two issues that I cannot resolve. ... IMAP-UW was compiled via ports with WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT enabled, OpenSSL, Cyrus-SASL2 & Cyrus-SASL2-saslauthd were compiled via ports with no flags. ... Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled with the following options added to make.conf: ... I followed the instructions I found at, and had no problems with the install except for Sendmail. ...
    • Re: Sendmail config: sending emails with LAN IP vs. domain
      ... > Here's hoping there's a Sendmail guru out there that can provide a little ... > machines are set up to do POP and SMTP through the mail server. ... > machine, not the Sendmail system. ... make sure you have reverse entries in your DNS for your mail ...
    • Re: sendmail configuration
      ... windowx exchange mail server. ... # Following alias is required by the new mail protocol, ... rebuild alias database through "sendmail -bi" ... input the header of the test email and then ...