Re: PAM and FTP in Solaris 7

From: Darren J Moffat (Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM)
Date: 09/20/02

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM>
To: cjclark@alum.mit.edu

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> No, that's not actually why I'm interested in PAM and ftpd at all. I
> was actually trying to figure out how PAM does or doesn't interact
> with the 'ftp' user. From what I've seen, it looks like in.ftpd skips
> the PAM authentication step alltogether for the ftp user. PAM is used
> for its session and account managment. PAM is used for authentication
> of other users.

That is correct. ftp is special and is handled internally to in.ftpd.

> If anyone cares, I was trying to see if I could kludge a way to get a
> working password on the anonymous ftp account. I wanted a password

Then it isn't the anon ftp account. I would suggest you use a real
account rather than overloading the ftp account.

--
Darren J Moffat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PAM and OpenLDAP: Login requires always existence of SSH pubkey, why?
    ... Users within our network have to autheticate against an OpenLDAP Server via PAM. ... # Kerberos options ... # Set this to 'no' to disable PAM authentication, account processing, ... # and session processing. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • ssh.com and pam
    ... If anyone has configured SSH.com to use LDAP via PAM, ... account information from our LDAP server. ... PAM authentication, which always fails. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • ssh.com and pam
    ... If anyone has configured SSH.com to use LDAP via PAM, ... account information from our LDAP server. ... PAM authentication, which always fails. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • ssh.com and pam
    ... If anyone has configured SSH.com to use LDAP via PAM, ... account information from our LDAP server. ... PAM authentication, which always fails. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • proftpd vs PAM authentication
    ... I am relatively new to FreeBSD and have what I hope is a simple question regarding proftpd and PAM authentication. ... I have just installed proftpd via the available port, and after installation a message was returned saying: ...
    (freebsd-questions)