Re: CDE Without ToolTalk?

From: Thomas Lindsay (lindsayt@socsci.umn.edu)
Date: 09/08/02

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:56:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: Thomas Lindsay <lindsayt@socsci.umn.edu>
To: Rich Teer <richard.teer@rite-group.com>

I work at the U of Minnesota and in my office we run CDE without tooltalk.
We use graphical logins and CDE is the only supported user environment.
In our inetd.conf files, the *only* service that starts is rsh (for
horrible legacy reasons too numerous to explain here). No tooltalk, no
anything that normally starts. The only problem for our users is that a
few CDE apps (such as the calendar) bomb out because there is no tooltalk
server running, but then nobody in our area ever used those apps anyway.
We run Solaris 8/sparc, with an essentially straight install, except for
additions like openssh, etc.

Thomas A Lindsay -- lindsayt@hist.umn.edu
System Administrator, Social Science Research Facility
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank

Floating down the stream of time
From life to life with me
Makes no difference where you are
Or where you'd like to be
        "It's All Too Much"
        George Harrison, 1943-2001

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SS20 - dtpad problem
    ... It can only be started by typing 'dtpad &' on a terminal ... ToolTalk request failed. ... I never took to the CDE myself. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)