CDE Without ToolTalk?

From: Crist J. Clark (crist.clark@attbi.com)
Date: 09/05/02

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:24:54 -0700
From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

Does anyone have a reference on how to lock down CDE? When asked to
"harden" a Sun server, one of the first things to do is go through
inetd.conf and take everything out but the basics, or even better, not
run inetd at all.

But the admins really don't like that since it breaks CDE. I don't
like being stuck at the console prompt with one shell either. I
wouldn't think it would be a lot to ask to just have a windowing
environment so we can have multiple ttys going at once, but not have
all of the extra network services like the dreaded ToolTalk server.

Is there a way to get CDE going? It bails out for me once it finds it
can't start up ToolTalk. Am I stuck going to a different windowing
system (isn't Openwin depricated these days?)?

(I think this has been covered before here, but SecurityFocus's search
page keeps telling me the server is too busy, and I haven't had any
luck Googling. Thanks.)

                                   |     cjclark@jhu.edu

  • Re: CDE Without ToolTalk?
    ... > But the admins really don't like that since it breaks CDE. ... > all of the extra network services like the dreaded ToolTalk server. ... Am I stuck going to a different windowing ... system administration tasks while you're in machine room, ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: docs.sun.com is useless!
    ... six documents for the new Sun Ray Server 4.0 on docs.sun.com. ... I can't comment so easily on CDE and dtlogin customization, ... CDE, dtlogin, Solaris 10 site:docs.sun.com ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: CDE Without ToolTalk?
    ... > Does anyone have a reference on how to lock down CDE? ... If you need multiple sessions there are a couple of ways ... > all of the extra network services like the dreaded ToolTalk server. ... about not being able to administer a server without a GUI. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: CDE Command
    ... executable to start the X server) and then it runs mwm (the Motif Window ... The mwm cannot coexist with CDE so if you want to run CDE, ... as the command to start the X server. ... A shell script is the easiest way of running this. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: CDE Without ToolTalk?
    ... console server with network connectivity. ... > But the admins really don't like that since it breaks CDE. ... You can ssh into the server multiple ...
    (Focus-SUN)