Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Roy S. Rapoport (rsr@inorganic.org)
Date: 08/16/02

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Roy S. Rapoport" <rsr@inorganic.org>
To: Andrew J Caines <Andrew.J.Caines@wcom.com>

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Andrew J Caines wrote:
> Despite the likelihood that Sun will continue to "support" (as in not stop
> it working) NIS and NIS+ for years, it's worth remembering that Sun is now
> bundling Netscape^WiPlanet^WSunONE apps, including Directory server, with
> Solaris and supporting them as Sun products.

Last time I tried to set up Netscape's LDAP server (about three years ago),
it ranked high among "most painful things I could imagine doing" (along
with setting up an inn news server, for example). Has it gotten as easy
as, say, setting up a completely customized sendmail or BIND install?

-roy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OpenVMS.org: Marvel article and HPs press release for Marveland Alpha Retain Trust Alpha Retain
    ... Entirely necessary to support your argument. ... >> latency is higher than the 8400 minimum memory latency. ... and that includes Sun. ... Look you claimed that the GS320 was the worlds fastest server. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • still need logdaemon?
    ... I've searched the Sun Mangers archives for this and spent considerable time ... I'm in the process of configuring a new Sun Fire v240 server running ... replacing an Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 serving the same purposes. ... NIS maps I want to restrict NIS logon on this server to myself and a couple ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: [SLE] NIS, NIS+, Automount which combinations work
    ... the name which Sun originally used for its ... trademark) and therefore Sun renamed it to NIS. ... Other Unix vendors refused to support NIS+ and therefore it is a dead ... NFS is terribly insecure and therefore Sun came with Secure NFS (long ...
    (SuSE)
  • Upgrading Directory Services.
    ... I've been using NIS and DNS since the late 80's and LDAP since 1997. ... my LDAP experience to date has only been in support of my ... practices on how to setup the Directory Server. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Sun or SuperMicro: Which to choose
    ... I'm not used to use Linux with new hardware :-) But todays new server ... SuperMicro 1U servercase with a SuperMicroH8SSL-i ServerBoard ... Both systems feature the same options, The Sun has a nForce4 chipset while ... A lot of the "value" for businesses in buying Sun hardware is that they have an International network of support people and parts warehouses. ...
    (Debian-User)