Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Andrew J Caines (
Date: 08/15/02

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:59:05 -0400
From: Andrew J Caines <>

Akop said...
> By the way, are you aware that Sun has already announced EOL for NIS+
> in Solaris 9 release notes?
>'ll be better off going with LDAP rather NIS.

Despite the likelihood that Sun will continue to "support" (as in not stop
it working) NIS and NIS+ for years, it's worth remembering that Sun is now
bundling Netscape^WiPlanet^WSunONE apps, including Directory server, with
Solaris and supporting them as Sun products.

I haven't seen a Solaris 9 install or if they've made using LDAP with PAM
automagic, or at least easy.

| -Andrew J. Caines-  703-886-2689  Unix Systems Engineer |
| <>        WorldCom Web Hosting  |

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ten Reasons To *NOT* Use ZFS:
    ... As Solaris still has a few down-sides, ... In response the Josenildo Marques' message regarding Sun Microsystems' ... Hmm, NTFS is proprietary, and we still have it in Linux. ... to mind right now that are available on Linux and still don't support ...
  • Re: unix price compare
    ... Well, biggest problem with Solaris is HW support on x86, I haven't yet ... and nowhere did I see a mention of a Sun ... IEEE 1394 Ports ...
  • Re: OT: Short Article about Sun
    ... Sun started as a company that assembled systems out of off the ... support chips rather than just the support chips. ... of Sun's IP as a hw platform but which has the same Solaris IP. ... You mean RedHat don't you, and the answer is no until every ...
  • Re: nforce3 / amd64 support?
    ... I know Sun mentions it supports Opteron, ... Current support for nVidia nForceX chipsets isn't stellar; ... > of Solaris 10) can boot with ACPI enabled. ...
  • Re: Apple dries up in the Sun
    ... I prefer Linux to Solaris, for most UNIX-only task sets, and OS ... Without any support for Windows. ... Windows out of any company, ... Apparently not even sun can run a website properly anymore. ...