Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Andrew J Caines (Andrew.J.Caines@wcom.com)
Date: 08/15/02

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:59:05 -0400
From: Andrew J Caines <Andrew.J.Caines@wcom.com>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

Akop said...
> By the way, are you aware that Sun has already announced EOL for NIS+
> in Solaris 9 release notes?
> ...you'll be better off going with LDAP rather NIS.

Despite the likelihood that Sun will continue to "support" (as in not stop
it working) NIS and NIS+ for years, it's worth remembering that Sun is now
bundling Netscape^WiPlanet^WSunONE apps, including Directory server, with
Solaris and supporting them as Sun products.

I haven't seen a Solaris 9 install or if they've made using LDAP with PAM
automagic, or at least easy.

-Andrew-

| -Andrew J. Caines-  703-886-2689  Unix Systems Engineer |
| <Andrew.J.Caines@wcom.com>        WorldCom Web Hosting  |