RE: Hardening NIS+

From: J. A. Landamore (jal@mcs.le.ac.uk)
Date: 08/15/02

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:54:13 +0100 (BST)
From: "J. A. Landamore" <jal@mcs.le.ac.uk>
To: jim.small@eds.com

Jim,
        Given that Sun have announced end-of-software support for NIS+ (
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/faqs/nisplus.html ) wouldn't it be better
to transistion to LDAP?

John Landamore | Please re-install Universe |
Sys. Admin | and reboot |
Dept Mathematics & Computer Science | |
University of Leicester | Hogfather |
University Road, LEICESTER, LE1 7RH | Terry Pratchett |
J.Landamore@mcs.le.ac.uk
Phone: +44 (0)116 2523410 Fax: +44 (0)116 2523604

-- deleted --

>I am transitioning a domain from NIS to NIS+. I realize that if I run NIS+
>in compatibility mode that all bets with security are off. However, as soon
>as the transition is complete, this hole will be closed. Is there anything
>special that I should be aware of here?
>
>Darren, you also mentioned better trust between NIS+ principles, but I'm not
>sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
>
>Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
> <> Jim
>
>Jim Small
>EDS - Infrastructure Integrity
>MS 5D
>750 Tower Dr.
>Troy, MI 48098-2868
>* phone: +01-248-265-4863 [8-365]
>* mailto:jim.small@eds.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Directory Server LDAP/LDIF import - working yet not working???
    ... I then generated LDIF files from the /etc files on our NIS ... > 10,000-foot understanding of LDAP. ... > I already downloaded the various LDAP BluePrints and Directory Server ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • LDAP & NIS on Solaris 10
    ... approved way of setting this up, likes to change everything to be LDAP. ... I really want most services to still use NIS so that I don't have to ... "A NIS client and a Native LDAP client cannot co-exist on the same ... hosts: files nis dns ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Directory Server LDAP/LDIF import - working yet not working???
    ... We currently have NIS and are looking to get rid of NIS completely in ... I then generated LDIF files from the /etc files on our NIS ... 10,000-foot understanding of LDAP. ... This is to be nothing more than importing /etc/passwd (and ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
    ... The overwhelming response was that NIS+ is proprietary and that Sun will not ... The majority of the responses indicate that LDAP is the way to go. ... I mainly need this for authentication (login ... Everybody is going LDAP these days: Sun, ...
    (SunManagers)
  • [SUMMARY] Convert NIS --> Java Directory Server 6.2 (LDAP)?
    ... The N2L service is the Sun-provided way to convert NIS maps to LDAP. ... It's a service that makes your NIS master receive info from an LDAP ... I'm interested in the conversion of data into an LDAP server, ...
    (SunManagers)