Re: Solaris and lack of loopback routes

From: Bennett Todd (bet@rahul.net)
Date: 08/12/02

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:50:03 -0400
From: Bennett Todd <bet@rahul.net>
To: Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM>

2002-08-09-17:22:34 Darren Moffat:
> I'm willing to log a bug or rfe on this for Solaris but before I do
> I need someone to re-state clearly what the problem is that adding a
> route to the 127.0.0.0 network rather than the 127.0.0.1 host is. In
> addition to that why we should change the existing behaviour of Solaris
> from what it is today.

The loopback interface should receive traffic for 127.0.0.0/8;
that's the RFC standard, and it's a useful feature.

Besides various testing scenarios where it's desireable to run
multiple different servers, bound to the same port, on loopback
addresses, there are also real production settings where it's
useful. I've seen people play clever games involving using routes
through loopback addresses to help implement failover strategies.
And I myself routinely use 127.0.0.1 on my laptop for my recursive
resolver (dnscache) and 127.0.0.2 for my private root nameserver
(tinydns), with the dnscache configured to use the tinydns as its
root. This is also a good config for a high-performance,
high-availability production server that must use DNS extensively,
e.g. a mail hub.

-Bennett

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module
    ... In Earlier version of solaris i have put a stream module between ... i suspect that the loopback interface may be again implemented ... sepratly as it is implemented in linux. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Solaris 10 11/06 Internet problems
    ... Solaris ... detects my loopback address but not my ethernet address. ... Is your NIC in the HCL? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module
    ... how about the loopback is it implemented in kernel as in linux. ... Loopback is special on Solaris, in that the IP module handles it ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Solaris 10 11/06 problems.
    ... How to enable internet connection from terminal in Solaris 10 11/06's ... Java Desktop Emvironment? ... What are the commands to be used? ... detects my loopback address but not my ethernet address. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Solaris 10 11/06 Internet problems
    ... How to enable internet connection from terminal in Solaris 10 11/06's ... Java Desktop Environment? ... What are the commands to be used? ... detects my loopback address but not my ethernet address. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)