Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Darren Moffat (Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM)
Date: 08/09/02

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM>

>Has anyone seen any articles/papers on hardening/locking down NIS+?

You need to be a bit more specific in what your end goal is and why
the default configuration of NIS+ is not sufficient.

Do you want to:

1. Harden the NIS+ servers ?
2. Get better trust between NIS+ principles ?
3. Restrict access to parts of the NIS+ tree to cetain user groups ?
4. Restrict access to fields within a record.
5. Other

All of these are possible but the answer depends on what you want to do.

I would recommend that you read the Ramsey NIS+ book (a bit old but still

        All About Administering NIS+ (2nd Edition)
        by Rick Ramsey (Paperback)
        Prentice Hall PTR; ISBN: 0133095762

there is also a wealth of information on
Darren J Moffat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Login restrictions in NIS environment
    ... You can restrict access by user, groups, and computers, and you can ... > We have a NIS environment here, and all linux machines look at the ... > same NIS ... > Our NIS Server, however, is also our DNS Server, and Intranet ...
  • Re: Restricting access to yppasswd (passwd -r nis)
    ... >Just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to restrict access to ... >yppasswd to 'root'. ... >to be able to access NIS information in general. ... make system wide alias to shells system configs. ...
  • Re: NIS and mixing distros
    ... This is done by modifying the Makefile on the NIS ... > can't grant or restrict access with NIS from the server. ... we only really use NIS for file access. ... client will use its own UIDs/GIDs for these important users/groups, ...
  • Re: NIS and mixing distros
    ... > $WORKPLACE all using the same NIS. ... can't grant or restrict access with NIS from the server. ... what happens if you want to take someone's floppy access away ...
  • NIS 2004 running on Windows 98 - Configuration Window wont launch
    ... I have installed NIS on a system that is running Windows 98. ... The only problem is that the configuration ...