Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Darren Moffat (Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM)
Date: 08/09/02

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat@Sun.COM>
To: jim.small@eds.com

>Has anyone seen any articles/papers on hardening/locking down NIS+?

You need to be a bit more specific in what your end goal is and why
the default configuration of NIS+ is not sufficient.

Do you want to:

1. Harden the NIS+ servers ?
2. Get better trust between NIS+ principles ?
3. Restrict access to parts of the NIS+ tree to cetain user groups ?
4. Restrict access to fields within a record.
5. Other

All of these are possible but the answer depends on what you want to do.

I would recommend that you read the Ramsey NIS+ book (a bit old but still
relevant):

        All About Administering NIS+ (2nd Edition)
        by Rick Ramsey (Paperback)
        Prentice Hall PTR; ISBN: 0133095762

there is also a wealth of information on docs.sun.com.

--
Darren J Moffat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Login restrictions in NIS environment
    ... You can restrict access by user, groups, and computers, and you can ... > We have a NIS environment here, and all linux machines look at the ... > same NIS ... > Our NIS Server, however, is also our DNS Server, and Intranet ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Restricting access to yppasswd (passwd -r nis)
    ... >Just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to restrict access to ... >yppasswd to 'root'. ... >to be able to access NIS information in general. ... make system wide alias to shells system configs. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: NIS and mixing distros
    ... This is done by modifying the Makefile on the NIS ... > can't grant or restrict access with NIS from the server. ... we only really use NIS for file access. ... client will use its own UIDs/GIDs for these important users/groups, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: NIS and mixing distros
    ... > $WORKPLACE all using the same NIS. ... can't grant or restrict access with NIS from the server. ... what happens if you want to take someone's floppy access away ...
    (Fedora)
  • NIS 2004 running on Windows 98 - Configuration Window wont launch
    ... I have installed NIS on a system that is running Windows 98. ... The only problem is that the configuration ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)