Re: Hardening NIS+

From: Neil Dickey (neil@geol.niu.edu)
Date: 08/09/02

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:05:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Neil Dickey <neil@geol.niu.edu>
To: jim.small@eds.com, focus-sun@securityfocus.com

"Small, Jim" <jim.small@eds.com> wrote asking:

>Has anyone seen any articles/papers on hardening/locking down NIS+?

Someone will doubtless correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding
that NIS+ is very secure "as is." The only exception arises if it is run
in YP-compatible mode. There are vulnerabilities associated with that,
but we don't do it and I don't recall what they are.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Illinois
60115

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Obama Bounce: Obama 51% -- McCain 36%...
    ... The problem is that your understanding is NOT correct. ... I'm not making an exception of myself. ... contributed is my business and I see no reason to have to share it with you ... I don't know who, if anyone, you sent your money to and if you chose not to ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... he says he can not fine any security holes. ... The question was not 100% security, it was that NIS has NO SECURITY HOLES. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... Learn about security and who the treats are. ... Now cut a hole in a piece of paper and then tell me how 'security is implied in the word 'hole' having done that cut a hole in the hole. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... Learn about security and who the treats are. ... deal of the hacking comes from INSIDE the firewall. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: SELinux blocking Gizmo on FC5
    ... Craig, ... I wonder how many people do these statements without understanding the ... How secure would that be? ...
    (Fedora)