Re: Solaris 8 username contingency

From: Rich Teer (richard.teer@rite-group.com)
Date: 07/26/02

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Teer <richard.teer@rite-group.com>
To: Michael Steeves <msteeves@panix.com>

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Michael Steeves wrote:

> I had this problem under Solaris 7 (well, a user did, when another
> admin created a 9-character login for a user), but just now tested it
> under 8.

I think the bottom line here is: don't use usernames that exceed
8 characters - as specified in the useradd man page.

--
Rich Teer

President, Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638 URL: http://www.rite-online.net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Printing from Solaris
    ... >>the vendor changes it's mind! ... I prefer a corporate UNIX ... > Solaris exists on IRIX and HP-UX with 90% probability and operates ... Nope, that is maybe true, but I am a non-professional admin, when not ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: New to UNIX and would like advice
    ... I am somewhat new to UNIX and would like some direction on where to go ... First, the current version, Solaris 10, is significantly different from ... The Sun sys admin guides on http://docs.sun.com are very good, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Printing from Solaris
    ... the entire printing system anyway, as recent Solaris 9 includes gs, ... > Nope, that is maybe true, but I am a non-professional admin, when not ... > doing my job as a HW eng, and then I try to make clean designs just like ... > cut corners then and by a assembled printer instead of assebling it ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Changes in IDS Companies?
    ... Solaris/Linux/NT admin, both as they and as management ... OS patches can break stuff. ... > I've never met any admin of any OS (Solaris, Linux, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux
    ... What comes with an OS isn't just for the admin. ... > Solaris comes with far more GUI admin tools than any Linux distro. ... Does the s10 firewall have a good gui front-end? ... > knowledge of the root password. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)