Re: Solaris 8 username contingency

From: Michael Steeves (msteeves@panix.com)
Date: 07/25/02

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:10:28 -0400
From: Michael Steeves <msteeves@panix.com>
To: Casper Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM>

* Casper Dik (Casper.Dik@Sun.COM) [020725 09:35]:
> >The passwd utility, at least, breaks on Solaris 8. Not sure about 9,
> >as I haven't had a chance to install it anywhere yet.
>
> Ah, "getlogin(3)" fails.
>
> "passwd test_user" probably does work.

Most likely -- I know that when (as root) I set the password on the
account, it worked without complaint. Once I logged in as that user
directly (which is why I did the telnet localhost), running passwd and
letting that figure it out by itself, it bombed.

I had this problem under Solaris 7 (well, a user did, when another
admin created a 9-character login for a user), but just now tested it
under 8.

--
Michael Steeves (msteeves@panix.com)
"Well, that's an idea all right. Not a good one, but it's an idea."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Checking a table for an existing entry and insert into a form?
    ... I need to take a user entry from a form's text box, ... > to me to be just a flavor of customer and does not require a separate ... > this account. ... > Complaint types would be listed in a lookup table and be selected via ...
  • Re: Checking a table for an existing entry and insert into a form?
    ... matching entry, and if it finds a prior complaint, look up the data in ... to me to be just a flavor of customer and does not require a separate ... this account. ... Complaint types would be listed in a lookup table and be selected via ...
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... create a 'documents' folder automatically if you install it to your ... as opposed to in Windows. ... will, upon creating a new user account, automatically create a user ... In most distributions, yes. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Advanced Client install nightmare
    ... I can successfully install manually using the SMS account. ... MS Client Configuration Manager cannot install the Advanced Client to ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: userName="machine" didnt work
    ... Juan, ... version) than the .42 dlls. ... Deleted the ASPNET account from "Local Users and Group – ... ASPNET user and allowed the ASP.NET install to re-create it. ...