Re: Solaris 8 username contingency

From: Paul Timmins (paul@timmins.net)
Date: 06/27/02

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:29:28 -0400
To: pavango22@email.com
From: Paul Timmins <paul@timmins.net>

At 05:22 PM 6/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>pavango22@email.com wrote:
>
> >due to certain difficulties i need to change this default to 15 charecters.
> >there is a file in which i have to make some changes. which one is
> >it?

I've used usernames that are 11 characters long. The user can still log on,
email gets received and routed properly, ftp and userdir in apache work. I
have experienced problems with this user using "talk", "write", and
"passwd" as well as the "chXX" commands (chsh, chfn, etc - I've had this
user on both Solaris 2.5.1 and Sol8)
You have the usual functionality you'd expect, but many of the user
management programs don't work (or only work as root for various reasons).
YMMV.
-Paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: set -o vi issues on ksh
    ... On Solaris, it works find, with as many charecters per line, but ... Sounds like you have "viraw" turned on for Linux but not for Solaris. ... What does "set -o" say about the viraw setting on each system? ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Solaris 8 username contingency
    ... On 22 Jun 2002, pavan gokarn wrote: ... > i have a problem with Solaris 8 username ristrictions. ... > i need to change this default to 15 charecters. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Solaris 8 username contingency
    ... ('binary' encoding is not supported, ... i have a problem with Solaris 8 username ristrictions. ... i need to change this default to 15 charecters. ...
    (Focus-SUN)