Re: Sunscreen 3.2 + Solaris8?

From: Valerie Anne Bubb (Valerie.Bubb@Sun.COM)
Date: 06/24/02

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Valerie Anne Bubb <Valerie.Bubb@Sun.COM>

>From: "Sean Boran" <>
>Sunscreen 3.2 is free with Solaris 9, so as a bit of a Sunscreen fan
>I've been test driving it, but have stumbled:
>1. The installer doesn't to work on Solaris 8 for me: java errors on the
>second screen. I upgraded Java, but no luck..

SunScreen 3.2 is not supported on Solaris 8, just Solaris 9.

>2. I installed a Solaris 8 admin station (via command line), and
>Solaris9 screen (with GUI and/or cmd cline), but I cannot get the two to
>talk to each other, either via IKE or SKIP. Frustrating, especially
>since I've tried all the usual SKIP tricks.

SunScreen 3.2's SKIP is the same version of SKIP that shipped with
SunScreen 3.1. All versions of SKIP are interoperable. If you want
IKE, you'll have to have a Solaris 9 admin station, too.

>In one part of the doc it says Solaris9 and trusted Solaris 8 are
>supported, but I'm sure that I seen elsewhere that Solar 2.6 and later
>are supported.

There are a few errors in the docs, unfortunately. It is only
supported on Solaris 9 (and Trusted Solaris 8)

>Does anyone know if the Sunscreen 3.2 also replaces the efs lite 3.1, or
>whether an upgrade from that is also in the offing?

SunScreen 3.2 should be able to upgrade a 3.1 lite configuration.
SunScreen 3.2 has the full functionality, so replaces both 3.1 Lite and
3.1 Full.

I believe there may be an issue with the upgrade program, though, but
you should be able to get this to work with some manual tweaking.

Let me know if you need a hand with this.

Relevant Pages

  • Problems with luupgrade using Solaris 10 1/06 media
    ... I've been trying to get my V440 upgraded from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 ... The live upgrade process always fails on luupgrade command. ... Cross referencing storage devices with boot environment configurations ... Determining packages to install or upgrade for BE. ...
  • UPDATE: Live Upgrade Help
    ... we are planning to upgrade all our Production Servers from Solaris 2.6 ... to Solaris 8 by next week. ... Setting asynchronous flag on ABE mount point ... Copying of file system / directory is in progress... ...
  • Re: flash 9 released :)
    ... it has negative ramifications for customer loyalty to the product line. ... would have ported a modern version of Gnome to Solaris 8 before hobbling ... It is easy to say just upgrade to Solaris 10. ... By total cost, I'm referring to everything involved, such as downtime, ...
  • Problem with LiveUpgrade lucreate from Sol7 to Sol8 : CPIO error.
    ... I am having problems with upgrading a solaris 7 system to solaris 8 using ... LiveUpgrade and I wonder if any one can help me out. ... Upgrade path is the following: ... Once the upgrade has been successful, boot off the target disk, set up the ...
  • Re: Upgrade from linux: AIX or Solaris?
    ... > AIX or Solaris (both hardware and Software) ... If you're 'upgrading' one of your systems to AIX or Solaris, ... project than an upgrade. ...