Re: xhost

From: Jameel Akari (jakari@bithose.com)
Date: 06/04/02

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:24:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To: Jan-Philip Velders <jpv@jpv.xs4all.nl>

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Jan-Philip Velders wrote:

> with the Zend IDE Client, running on a Solaris 8 server, displaying
> onto a Linux client produced an unreadable screen, but displaying onto
> a Solaris 8 client gave no problems... (thus I'm very much inclined to
> blame the OS-combo, but not the SSH X-forwarding!)

        Yes, but it's not totally unfixable. We see it with two Solaris
apps: The Sun Admintool (yecch!) will crash with a "arithmetic exception"
when connecting to a Linux Xserver, and the Veritas vxadmin tool is ugly
and unreadable.

        We found that the admintool crash was because Sun expects video to
be either 8-bit or 24-bit color, and Linux PC's often run in 16-bit or
32-bit color. Try fixing your Xfree to 24-bit color and see if that
helps with the unreadable display. This also helped vxadmin be more
palatable. Or, you might be missing fonts that the app is trying to use,
and it's subsituting something ugly and broken instead.

        Either way, it doesn't have much to do with X forwarding through
SSH. (I'd try forwarding them to a Solaris workstation and see if they
work any better.)

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f "$zig"; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Oracle, Solaris, Sparc and Linux
    ... buyout of Sun, that Oracle would destroy Solaris and the hardware ... To which Linux are they migrating? ... that Oracle would destroy Solaris and the hardware aspects ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Is anything else then Solaris used on UltraSparc Machines.
    ... > familiar with Solaris. ... The same thing cannot be said for Linux. ... Solaris x86 seems better with more expensive hardware whereas Linux ... it for Solaris (SPARC). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Is anything else then Solaris used on UltraSparc Machines.
    ... They are just not there right now, just like Linux isn't there ... scalability, real-time support, standards compliance, volume ... > Sure there is a lot of pre-packaged software of Solaris, ... but it is often more hassle on Solaris (even SPARC). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Is anything else then Solaris used on UltraSparc Machines.
    ... > I think there are good reasons for using Linux in place of Solaris ... The same thing cannot be said for Linux. ... Solaris x86 seems better with more expensive hardware whereas Linux ... it for Solaris (SPARC). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Linux Advocates Fear Solaris 10.
    ... >> will want, and will get, with Linux and repositories of GPL software. ... Solaris has 95% of Linux ... Okay, so take OUT the Linux compatibility layer, and any of the GPL ... SUN, however, can 'open source' their Solaris, package a shitload of GPL ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)