Re: gpg /netstat problems

From: Cade Cairns (cairnsc@securityfocus.com)
Date: 05/07/02

Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:07:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Cade Cairns <cairnsc@securityfocus.com>
To: Richard Cross <richard.cross@freeserve.com>

I would imagine that it is using it as a source of entropy when seeding
the random number generator. You probably don't want to disable it.

Cade Cairns
SecurityFocus
http://www.securityfocus.com/

On 2 May 2002, Richard Cross wrote:

> I noticed GnuPG wasn't working properly recently - it was hanging while
> trying to encrypt a file or when generating a new key. Ran truss on it
> and found that it forks a separate process which turned out to be:
>
> netstat -p -f inet
>
> and it was hanging because it couldn't resolve the addresses, however
> that aside...
>
> ... anyone know why it needs to do this and whether or not this can be
> disabled? Could it potentially be a security risk? (FYI it was the
> packaged version for Solaris 8 from Sunfreeware).
>

> Rick Cross.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Good enough for crypto?
    ... >> virtually no quantum components. ... Certainly the Lava Lamp generator, ... there are three types of entropy that are commonly in ... A pseudorandom sequence can certainly present ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: fedora 20 disabling ssh by default
    ... The "entropy" is the same for both. ... On Liunux systems without a trusted hardware random number generator, ... could be more predictable once the entropy pool is exhausted. ... And note that you said that the intel cpu random number generator is not ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: fedora 20 disabling ssh by default
    ... three entropy pools. ... One primary pool, and one for ... On Liunux systems without a trusted hardware random number generator, ... And note that you said that the intel cpu random number generator is not ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: RSA minimum keysize to defend against amateur attacks
    ... generated words, but if you make your generator publicly available, you ... call it space you may. Does leaving it off alter the entropy estimate? ... An optimized guesser would put these earlier in their guessing list. ... But an optimal attacker will put the most likely password first on ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Puzzling
    ... It was a question of why seeding ... between the seed and the random number generator. ... generator you get a lot faster algorithm than the Numeric Recipes ... % Rnd = NRC_rand_seed ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)