Re: gpg /netstat problems

From: Warren Belfer (belfer@gullwing.eng.sun.com)
Date: 05/07/02

Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:32:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Warren Belfer <belfer@gullwing.eng.sun.com>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com, richard.cross@freeserve.com

Well I don't know for sure, since I don't use GPG, but:

I would guess that it is running these commands to generate entropy.
Perhaps it is configurable in a config file. The best solution is probably
to install /dev/random and /dev/urandom

It is available from Sun for Solaris 8 as patch 112438-01

For other versions of Solaris you may have to go to a third party /dev/random

With /dev/random installed, applications should use it instead of
running commands to generate random output. (makes it faster too)

HTH

waren

>I noticed GnuPG wasn't working properly recently - it was hanging while
>trying to encrypt a file or when generating a new key. Ran truss on it
>and found that it forks a separate process which turned out to be:
>
>netstat -p -f inet
>
>and it was hanging because it couldn't resolve the addresses, however
>that aside...
>
>... anyone know why it needs to do this and whether or not this can be
>disabled? Could it potentially be a security risk? (FYI it was the
>packaged version for Solaris 8 from Sunfreeware).
>

>Rick Cross.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: question for DBD-Oracle driver
    ... I have DBI and DBD::Oracle installed on a Solaris 10 machine. ... When I run either of the 2 commands that were posted I error out with: ... and that this is another dynamic install. ... Solaris doesn't have the chatr command but you can use ldd to get ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: install 2.6.4 kernel on rh8
    ... Booting the 2.6.4 kernel gave ... deleted all directories made by the make commands and deleted all files ... made during the install in /boot and will try again tonight. ... mentioned this problem as a result of CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m in the .config file ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Bit Twister: Is this the dhclient-exit-hooks you were talking about?
    ... you have to use your editor commands. ... Yeah I got that part figured out now. ... I alwasy install in seprate partitions and share common stuff I ... save it all to peruse at a later date, thanks bit twister. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Another question of win2000 DC to win2003
    ... - Can I run adprep /forestprep /domainprep commands only for error ... It will ofcourse give you some downtime in the upgrade phase. ... Also check that all installed hardware/software is compatible with 2003 and you have the correct drivers available BEFORE running the update, so that you quickly install them. ... install/replication, Transfer 5 FSMO, dcpromo win2000). ...
  • Re: rx2600s on eBay
    ... HP OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Operating System, ... You can install or upgrade the OpenVMS I64 operating system ... You can also execute DCL commands and procedures to perform ...
    (comp.os.vms)