Re: How do I set-up secure automated file push and pull?

From: Ken Herron (kjh-4275@attbi.com)
Date: 04/24/02

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:38:25 -0700
From: Ken Herron <kjh-4275@attbi.com>
To: "focus-sun@securityfocus.com" <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>

--On Friday, April 19, 2002 23:47:58 -0400 Anupam
<frj780jdy85533001@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Guys and gals,
>
> I am sure a lot of you face this issue. The previous thread about
> secure ftp is very close to this issue.
>
> Is there a 'safe' or 'established' way of setting up automatable
> file-push and file-pull accounts. I have been scouting the various SUN
> mailing lists and have found no definitive answers.

I don't know of anything that would be considered a standard, but I can
think of some additional methods you might want to look at:

1) Rsync, particularly the rsync daemon setup.

2) UUCP over TCP/IP :-) You should probably avoid this unless you
already have experience with UUCP.

3) Some people have developed a protocol called "SAFT", aka "sendfile",
which is intended for unattended file transfers. It's not a well-known or
widely implemented service, but google has a few hits for it. A good
starting point seems to be
<http://www.belwue.de/projekte/saft//index-us.html>.

--
Ken Herron      <kjh-4275@attbi.com>