Re: Looking for ftp over SSL (TLS) daemon...

From: Charles Clancy (
Date: 04/17/02

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:08:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Charles Clancy <>
To: "Jonathan G. Lampe" <>

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Jonathan G. Lampe wrote:

> I am trying to find an FTP server daemon which uses SSL (TLS) in a Sun
> environment. (Not SSH.) Does anyone know of such a thing? (Vendors
> welcome to reply!!!)

Use use an SSL wrapper such as stunnel ( around your
existing ftpd.

For example, the following in /etc/inetd.conf would work:

ftps stream tcp6 nowait daemon /usr/local/sbin/stunnel stunnel -p
/etc/ftpd.pem -r localhost:ftp

As a wrapper, stunnel can even negotiate SSL for protocols such as SMTP
where the switch to SSL can happen any time during the session (as opposed
to protocols like HTTPS where it happens right away). Much easier than
compiling STARTTLS support directly into sendmail...

[ t. charles clancy ]--[ ]--[ ]
coordinated science laboratory | university of illinois | crypto group