RE: Disabling Unnecessary Services from inetd.conf File

From: Myers, Mike (Mike.Myers@NWDC.IBS-LMCO.com)
Date: 04/08/02

From: "Myers, Mike" <Mike.Myers@NWDC.IBS-LMCO.com>
To: "'Kate.Schalon@Fluor.com'" <Kate.Schalon@Fluor.com>, FOCUS-SUN@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:13:34 -0700

While this is not exactly what you asked for, sometime ago I wrote a small
utility to try to figure out, across a host of servers, which items in
/etc/inetd.conf were in use and which were not. The method was to use the
last access time of the binaries in /etc/inetd.conf and the last access time
of a binary I was pretty sure should never get accesses except during the
system global backup.

This provided a quick way to see which services could be turned off without
impacting any processes. After that cut we could look at the systems
individually and ask more detailed questions (eg. who the heck is using
tftpd, etc.). Saved some time and made sure we didn't break something
critical on the first mass turn-off.

Cheers,
 - Mike.Myers@nwdc.ibs-lmco.com