Re: zlib on Solaris?

From: Jan-Philip Velders (jpv@jpv.xs4all.nl)
Date: 03/17/02

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:47:45 +0100 (CET)
From: Jan-Philip Velders <jpv@jpv.xs4all.nl>
To: Kalle Andersson <kan@virus112.com>

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:08:52 +0100
> From: Kalle Andersson <kan@virus112.com>
> To: focus-sun@securityfocus.org
> Subject: zlib on Solaris?

> Quick question, any info on if zlib can or can't cause problem on a solaris
> system?
> I haven't been able to find a yes or no on that question, just that the
> problem is primarily on Linux.

uhm... the problem is not Linux based...
a double-free can also be a problem on Solaris...

though the more prudent question is, which programs and/or services
use zlib and tkae untrusted datastreams ?

for example, are you gonna rebuild libpng, or openssl ?

at our site we've decided that stuff like openssl will get rebuild
and/or patched. But 'xv' for example won't... That'll be just
scheduled for "normal" rebuild on update...

> Best Regards

Regards,
JP Velders

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH daemon
    ... |>Solaris 8 on Intel does have zlib, but when I try to build software ... I get a ton of unreferenced symbols that Sun's zlib wants to ... unreferenced symbols when building Python 2.2 on Solaris x86 8 with ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH daemon
    ... [[PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS]] ... >Solaris 8 on Intel does have zlib, but when I try to build software ... I get a ton of unreferenced symbols that Sun's zlib wants to ... to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: zlib on Solaris?
    ... any info on if zlib can or can't cause problem on a solaris ... any programs on any platforms yet, but that doesn't mean there wont be... ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: SSH daemon
    ... There's are precious few symbols needed by zlib as shipped ... and since zlib includes a dependency on libc.so.1 ... >Is this true when using gcc on Solaris as well? ... -- [Do NOT email-CC me on posts. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Sunfire V120 not seeing Storedge 3300 RAID array after rebuild
    ... I don't do a lot of Solaris administration any longer ... and am under pressure to finish this rebuild. ... an external RAID array I had built on a Storedge 3300, ... get the OS to recognize the previously working Storedge 3300 RAID device any ...
    (SunManagers)