Trouble changing BSM/audit options without reboot

From: Anupam (
Date: 02/05/02

From: "Anupam" <>
To: <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:04:46 -0500

I am trying to implement auditing (BSM) on a Solaris 7 system. When I change
audit settings in either /etc/security/audit_control or
/etc/security/audit_user is there anyway to "reload" the configurations to
the audit daemon without rebooting?

The two ways in which I have tried to "reload" configuration data are as
1. Based on my reading of audit(1M) man page:
    audit -s
2. Tried to do:
        /etc/rc2.d/S99audit stop
        /etc/rc2.d/S99audit start

Both of these methods don't change the data that is logged.

Any suggestions?

There must be some way of doing this without rebooting the machine. I just
am not aware of it. I have not posted configuration details of the
audit_control and audit_user files, because this didn't seem relevant.

- Anupam