Re: /etc/default/passwd and SSH

From: Terry Jordan (terry@goantiques.com)
Date: 01/25/02

From: Terry Jordan <terry@goantiques.com>
To: "Nicholas Berry" <nberry@ragingwire.com>, <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:35:04 -0500

Heres a bit of a hack idea you could try:

Keep a seperate database of the usernames of users using SSH whom you'd to
enforce this upon, then create a cron job that runs every month (if thats the
allotment you'd like to use) that appends a passwd command to that users
login script (ex. .bash_profile). This will at minimum force your users to
enter a new password upon logging in. Ive got a similiar setup myself but in
addition if the user tries to use the same password, it keeps running that
passwd command at every login until the user enters a password that is
different from the original. My scripts are available upon request.

(this is done with perl and mysql btw)

Hope this helps
-Terry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Giving Value to password prompt
    ... For example we are executing scp, ssh, passwd command, Normally it ... will ask password in that prompt. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Giving Value to password prompt
    ... For example we are executing scp, ssh, passwd command, Normally it ... will ask password in that prompt. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Giving Value to password prompt
    ... For example we are executing scp, ssh, passwd command, Normally it ... will ask password in that prompt. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: ssh and forced password changes
    ... This works with everything other than ssh. ... directions do not print out, and the user is dropped right into the ... passwd command. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)