Solaris root login only at console question

From: martha.crocker@philips.com
Date: 01/21/02

From: martha.crocker@philips.com
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:42:40 -0600

I was just running through my machines checking to make sure they had all been changed
so that direct root login isn't allowed except on the console. I noticed an interesting thing
with Solaris 2.5 & Sol 8, if I attempt a login as root, either with the correct password or with an
incorrect password, I get the same message:

UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (nodename)

login: root
Password:
Not on system console
Connection closed by foreign host.

BUT, if I do the same on Solaris 2.6 and 7, I only get this message if I supply the correct
root password. If I supply the incorrect password, I get another prompt for username:

SunOS 5.6

login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
login: root
Password:
Not on system console
Connection closed by foreign host.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?
Is this perhaps a bug?
Is there a cure?

Martha Crocker
UNIX System Administrator
Philips Semiconductors
9651 Westover Hills Blvd.
M/S 306
San Antonio, Texas 78251
(210)522-7468 voice
(210)522-7300 fax
martha.crocker@philips.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.