Solaris root login only at console question

From: martha.crocker@philips.com
Date: 01/21/02

From: martha.crocker@philips.com
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:42:40 -0600

I was just running through my machines checking to make sure they had all been changed
so that direct root login isn't allowed except on the console. I noticed an interesting thing
with Solaris 2.5 & Sol 8, if I attempt a login as root, either with the correct password or with an
incorrect password, I get the same message:

UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (nodename)

login: root
Password:
Not on system console
Connection closed by foreign host.

BUT, if I do the same on Solaris 2.6 and 7, I only get this message if I supply the correct
root password. If I supply the incorrect password, I get another prompt for username:

SunOS 5.6

login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
login: root
Password:
Not on system console
Connection closed by foreign host.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?
Is this perhaps a bug?
Is there a cure?

Martha Crocker
UNIX System Administrator
Philips Semiconductors
9651 Westover Hills Blvd.
M/S 306
San Antonio, Texas 78251
(210)522-7468 voice
(210)522-7300 fax
martha.crocker@philips.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: su: not running setuid
    ... No I am not able to login as root from other consoles also. ... It is not accepting my uname and passwd. ... Can you even log in as root from the console? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: logging console login
    ... What i want in common with Linux and Solaris is console logins to ... least network logins can be bared from root login and force people to login as themselves and switch user, but root login at the console is ... Solaris and Linux log this event without any further configuration, but with HP and AIX for that matter they dont at the moment. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... >su: incorrect password ... >>symptom trying to su back to root. ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... >>I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)
  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: Root password expired - not your typical case
    ... Within the last couple days the root password expired. ... When I attempt to login at the console as root, ... It is possible to disable root logins from the console and doing so is even recommended as a security precaution. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)