RE: Sun Solaris login bug patches out

From: Hong Zhu (hzhu@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: 01/03/02

From: "Hong Zhu" <hzhu@mail.wesleyan.edu>
To: "Casper Dik" <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM>, "Yiming Gong" <yiming@security.zz.ha.cn>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:38:05 -0500

Hi All,

> Patches for programs generally don't require a reboot;
> patches for libraries, kernel modules and daemons generally
> do (in some cases because it's too hard or too error-prone
> to explain how to enable a patch w/o rebooting)

Apart from README, is there any other way to tell whether system
requires rebooting when install patch on Solaris system?

For example, "inst" is used to install patch on SG systems,
and it will list the filesystems size changes that will be
affected from patch installation. If the filesystem is /,
it requires a system reboot, otherwise won't.

Is there similar approach on Solaris systems to find out
whether system needs rebooting?

Many thanks,
Hong

Relevant Pages

  • Re: df discrepencies
    ... On filesystems I have I want to ... reserved amount 64MB on ext3) ... really the command I use to for maximizing the amont of disk space ... My recollection is that rebooting will fix this problem ...
    (Debian-User)
  • (Q) Add a new Disk - w/o reboot
    ... What commands are used to add a new disk to a Solaris system ... without rebooting. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Fast testing
    ... Rebooting is bloody fast for me (0.7 seconds for the kernel start, ... the GUI is usable again and you can actually continue working? ... (ie. until it begins looking for the filesystems), 6 mins for fsck ...
    (Linux-Kernel)