Re: dtlogin

From: Casper Dik (Casper.Dik@Sun.COM)
Date: 12/29/01

To: Kapetanakis Giannis <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:48:50 +0100
From: Casper Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM>

>Does anyone know a way i would prevent logins with dtlogins
>directly on system console for a nis client, but allow normal
>logins (ssh)

You want to disable dtlogin *on the console*?

>I'm looking for a clean way, and not changing the default shell
>for nis users....

There's no supported way to distinguish between NIS users and others
other than using the "compat" nsswitch option and playing tricks with
their password entries.

Why do you want to disable console logins for NIS users but allow them
ssh access?

Or did I misunderstand the question and is what you really want disabling
dtlogin over the network? That is easily solved:

The solaris FAQ says:

3.59) How can I restrict remote access through dtlogin?

    Copy to /usr/dt/config/Xaccess file to /etc/dt/config.

    Comment out the following lines if you want to fully restrict access:

     * # grant service to all remote displays
     * CHOOSER BROADCAST #any indirect host can get a chooser

    The dtlogin(1x) manual page explains how to have more fine grained

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from

Relevant Pages

  • Re: display bar resetting - ( Throttling respawn
    ... ypbind is the NIS agent that binds to NIS on your network. ... misbehaving menu extra in the menu bar. ... From the Console menu bar, select File> View System Log. ...
  • Re: MSN M7 Clubhouse games
    ... I'm thinking NIS is the problem but disabling it has no effect. ... > Actually plenty of Norton users have experienced this problem. ... > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger ...
  • Need to Set dtlogin on Middle Framebuffer
    ... 21" Hitachi monitors. ... I would like to set the middle display as the ... console and dtlogin. ... I figured out how to set the default console by setting up the ...
  • Re: 550 You must SMTP Authenticate ...
    ... Then this is what I shall do and see if NIS is the cause. ... Perhaps Norton Internet Security, ... > Norton is well-known for not actually disabling the mail scanning feature, ...
  • Re: X/CDE on Alphaserver 800
    ... Nevertheless dtlogin is running looking at the aoutput of ps. ... >>Which kind of settings are nessecary to run X on the graphics console. ...