Re: Door Files

From: Rich Teer (richard.teer@rite-group.com)
Date: 12/20/01

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:54:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich Teer <richard.teer@rite-group.com>
To: <rsteven@csc.com>

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 rsteven@csc.com wrote:

> I am aware that a door file is a special file but I cannot find out any
> more information than that. I need to find out everything about them can
> anyone help?

The book "UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2 (Second Edition)", by
your (almost) namesake, the late W. Richard Stevens, contains a
chapter about doors. Very briefly, they're a mechainsm for fast,
local, RPCs (Remote Procedure Calls).

HTH,

--
Rich Teer                                            .  *   * . * .* .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Door Files
    ... > I am aware that a door file is a special file but I cannot find out any ... Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: Door Files
    ... > I am aware that a door file is a special file but I cannot find out any ... For argoth's Solaris Infrequently Asked Obscure Questions ... Well worth a visit. ...
    (Focus-SUN)