Mounting dd images question

From: Neil Long (neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: 12/19/01

From: "Neil Long" <neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
To: <FOCUS-SUN@securityfocus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:49:48 -0000

Hello

Is there an obvious way (i.e. one which won't continue to elude me) to take
a dd of a disk partition (off a hacked Sun system for example) and mount
this image on another Sun (Solaris 8 or older) for read-only analysis?

[If the hard disk had been scsi I could chain it on but being IDE presents
more of a problem with available connections.]

Something like the loopback device in Linux or the vn (vnode) device in
(Free)BSD?

Is there any other aspect of dd relating to choice of dsk or rdsk or should
the /device/blah etc be used.

Failing that any other platform which can handle a Solaris filesystem (which
may have largefile support, etc).

Thanks
Neil