Mounting dd images question

From: Neil Long (
Date: 12/19/01

From: "Neil Long" <>
To: <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:49:48 -0000

Is there an obvious way (i.e. one which won't continue to elude me) to take
a dd of a disk partition (off a hacked Sun system for example) and mount
this image on another Sun (Solaris 8 or older) for read-only analysis?

[If the hard disk had been scsi I could chain it on but being IDE presents
more of a problem with available connections.]

Something like the loopback device in Linux or the vn (vnode) device in

Is there any other aspect of dd relating to choice of dsk or rdsk or should
the /device/blah etc be used.

Failing that any other platform which can handle a Solaris filesystem (which
may have largefile support, etc).