Re: chroot'ing ftpd

From: focus-sun@anastrophe.com
Date: 12/17/01

From: focus-sun@anastrophe.com
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:59:20 GMT

Michael Tucker writes:
> Hence the market niche for products like wu-ftpd (don't use this! it's
> riddled with security holes!) and proftpd (use this instead).

proftpd is better than wuftpd, but it's had it's share of security holes
too.

Ncftpd has never had any. I've been using it continuously for at least four
years (maybe five?) and it has performed flawlessly. it's not free, but in
this case, you get what you pay for, by far.

 ---------------------------------
Paul Theodoropoulos
paul@anastrophe.net
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Syntactically Subversive Services, Inc.
http://www.anastrophe.com
Downtime Is Not An Option

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows is the better OS for running a FTP server
    ... I tried proftpd, wu-ftpd and (netkit) ftpd.... ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ftpd?
    ... > I just realizdd that my RedHat 9 installation has no ftp server ... Neither wu-ftpd or proftpd are installed. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: ftp questions....
    ... someone who set up the server modified the file for wu-ftpd (that ... So you could rename that file to 'proftpd' or something ... For the location of FTP config file you should look in PROftpd ... > bruce wrote: ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Is there a ftp vuln in 4.3-STABLE
    ... >> kinda overflow.. ... From all I have seen on the issue, ProFTPD has suffered about as many ... I am not claiming that WU-FTPD is necessarily ... immediate "solution" to security hassles. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: ftp security
    ... Is ProFTPd or WU-Ftpd part of AIX or are they 3rd party tools? ... >however Chroot is a glass Jail, there is many workaround for a user who ... If you wish to enforce FTP security I ...
    (comp.unix.aix)