slow telnet connectivity through a VPN tunnel

From: Stephen Pinto (stephen.pinto@paladion.net)
Date: 12/06/01

From: "Stephen Pinto" <stephen.pinto@paladion.net>
To: "Focus-Sun" <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:40:15 +0530

Hi all,

After hardening four Sun solaris 7 boxes the telnet connectivity has gone
drastically slow over the VPN cloud. There lies another solaris box to which
telnet connectivity behaves normal (quiet fast) which is not hardened and is
in the group of the other solaris servers.
There is a VPN cloud between 2 checkpoint firewalls. the admins are situated
in a different city & the servers are another city. I tried telnet access
from the local LAN where the sun servers are situated, it seems fast. I felt
it might be due to the slow internet link but i was wrong since the admin
tried connecting the sun machines through a private channel which might be
dialup to the local city network & it was quick.
The connection is slow that one command comes on the screen after 2 min's &
sometimes it hangs. The connectivity to these server from the web (http) is
normal.

Is it something related to the IP & tcp hardening settings as i stopped ICMP
directed broadcast etc. which are standards to be blocked.

 admins --> firewall ---> vpn------> firewall----> sun servers

Chao
Stephen

Relevant Pages

  • Beginner question
    ... Windows servers but not Unix... ... I am trying to set up a two machine network in a lab environment, with Solaris ... basic connectivity, trying to ping Solaris from XP, but getting nothing. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Beginner question
    ... 10 running on a brand new Sunfire 2100, connected via a hub to a Windows ... The install of Solaris seemed to go fine. ... basic connectivity, trying to ping Solaris from XP, but getting nothing. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Difference bet MS and Solaris
    ... I tried to connect Solaris (configured as dhcp client) to the network via ... cable modem. ... It seems no problem in connectivity (able to ping external IP ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Difference bet MS and Solaris
    ... > I tried to connect Solaris (configured as dhcp client) to the network via ... It seems no problem in connectivity (able to ping external IP ... > cable modem connection? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)