Re: Sniffering tool.

From: Matthew R. Potter (
Date: 11/22/01

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:43:06
From: "Matthew R. Potter" <>
Subject: Re: Sniffering tool.

Snoop comes with solaris.

tcpdump(, snort (,
ethereal... You'll need libpcap for either. You need to d/l a precompiled
version or build it yourself which is as easy as

./configure ; make install

For ethereal I think you need some GTK libs, and anything GTK requires. they have a dependency/requirements info.

P.s seems to not work.. hmmm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Filtering out P2P traffic
    ... You may be interesed in Snort and Snortsam ... In an educational institution I use Solaris 10 on the gateway between ... Is possible to block P2P traffic with the IPFilter included in Solaris ...
  • RE: Snort or Ethereal for a relative newbie?
    ... >thought Snort was capable of dropping packets based on the snort ... Snort captures packets using libpcap and runs them through a ruleset to ... will not have problems installing snort. ...
  • Re: Need some advice on an IDS solution
    ... > Drew Cutter wrote: ... Snort does run on solaris. ... I like snort and a file integrity checker, like tripwire. ...
  • Re: IP logging tools for Solaris.
    ... IP logging tools for Solaris. ... > So we've got date and time, protcol, source ip and port, and destination ip ... ps. libpcap works fine on solaris and has since early 90s or earlier. ...
  • RE: Snort.
    ... Subject: Snort. ... Which version of libpcap are you using? ... I was reading about the advantage to use Snort whit other soft ...