Re: Switching audit files under Solaris 8 via cron

From: Trevor Fiatal (trevor@seven.com)
Date: 11/13/01

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:14:32 -0800
From: Trevor Fiatal <trevor@seven.com>
To: Roland Crüsemann <cruesemann@trustcenter.de>
Subject: Re: Switching audit files under Solaris 8 via cron

Roland Crüsemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> switching audit files via cron with the crontab entry
> 0 1 * * * /usr/sbin/audit -n
> for root doesn't work under Solaris 8.
> It produces the following entry in /var/cron/log:
> ! cron audit problem. job failed (/usr/sbin/audit -n) for user root Tue Nov

You're probably logging in via SSH and then editing the crontab, right?

With auditing turned on, a login via certain SSH products (ssh.com)
does not produce a properly validated security context. This results
in symptoms like not being able to edit crontab files via SSH login.

The solutions: edit crontab files via console only, and/or switch to
OpenSSH using either PAM or /bin/login. Both of the latter will produce
a properly validated session, allowing crontab editing.

Hope this helps.

-Trevor

--
Trevor Fiatal -- trevor@seven.com -- http://www.seven.com/
Co-Founder, CSO

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Perl Script to track UPS-Packages
    ... just use cat> filename as Crom intended. ... own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at ... Solaris 10 has done some weird things to the daemon handling. ... know what signal cron actually wants to see to re-read, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Perl Script to track UPS-Packages
    ... I was not with Solaris 10. ... own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at ... know what signal cron actually wants to see to re-read, ... Even when (ahem) I have a DBA camping in my ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • formating a crontab task
    ... I've some difficulties to run a script using crontab .. ... it does not seems to work using the Solaris 7 cron .. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • RE: crond not found
    ... Crontabs does not contain the cron daemon: ... Group: System Environment/Base Source RPM: ... The crontabs package contains root crontab files. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: crontab
    ... >>I have scheduled a task by configuring crontab. ... >>and the mail contents are simply stating the successfull execution of ... >>the cron job. ... If MAILTO is ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)